Boutique midtown Manhattan branch law office is looking to hire a junior paralegal. Tax or litigation experience. Strong computer skills and Bachelor's degree required.
SUMMARY: Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures,
performs a variety of duties to assist attorneys to whom assigned. Maintains positive contact with
clients and observes confidentiality of client matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Primarily job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some
reasonable assistance or training provided by the Firm.
1. Bachelor’s degree required with 2-5 years of paralegal experience.
2. Follows the ethical requirements as set forth by the Rules of Professional Conduct
of the state.
3. Ability to proofread typed material for contextual, grammatical, typographical
and/or spelling errors.
4. Ability to supervise all aspects of a project from copying and quality checking to filing
and making sure documents are properly distributed to the attorney group. This will
include the ability to establish, organize and maintain pleading files, attorney trial
notebooks, expert witness notebooks, review and digest depositions, document
indexes and lists. Familiarity with chronological and reverse chronological
document organization is a must.
5. Ability to conduct research and locate cases, depositions, opinions, reports and
information related to the matter by using all available resources, including libraries and
computer data systems. Intermediate to Advanced understanding of Lexis-Nexis and
6. Ability to read and analyze dense materials and meet assigned deadlines.
7. Ability to begin and finish projects with little or no supervision. Including, but not
limited to, preparation of the IRS’s forms, drafting correspondence, drafting
Information Document Request (IDR) responses, compiling documents for various IRS
submissions, assembling documents for production in both print and electronic
format, communicating with clients, etc.
8. Ability to work overtime as needed, with short notice given.
9. Familiarity with and ability to e-File with electronic court systems, such as Pacer, ECF, and Tax Court.
10. Familiarity with state and federal tax concepts or tax returns, financial records,
formation of corporate and non-corporate entities, and basic corporate documents,
such as preparation of minutes, resolutions, filings, transfer documents, etc.
11. Exceptional organizational and file management skills, including familiarity with the
document management systems, and the ability to multi-task and pay attention to
12. Interpersonal skills necessary to interact positively and to communicate and
follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and
13. Intermediate level cite-checking ability required (according to The Bluebook).
14. Intermediate to Advanced understanding of litigation support database, Relativity is REQUIRED. Must be able to speak and interact positively with peers and vendors
regarding electronic data, conversions and creation of databases.
15. Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, PDFDocs (or Adobe Acrobat)
and PowerPoint is strongly preferred.
16. Job may involve light lifting and occasional travel.
Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package.