Well-established New York law firm is seeking a Legal Secretary that will provide both administrative and client support for our growing International Practice. The ideal candidate has a background in the legal industry and can give high-touch, personable support to both the attorneys of the practice as well as the firm’s clients. We are looking for someone who can act as a concierge for the practice group while providing the team with valuable, high-quality support that appropriately meets their requirements, enabling them to focus on providing legal services and client development. Support for the practice will include but is not limited to answering easily solvable requests as well as sorting through complex questions that require research and third-party communications. The incumbent will act as a liaison to both the Chair and Co-Chair of the practice and three (3) associates. This role is a highly visible role that requires professionalism, the ability to create a great first impression, establish and foster formidable connections within the firm, but also externally with clients, business partners, prospects, and guests. Strong technical skills in the Microsoft Office suite, exceptional written and verbal communication skills, an eye for detail, and the ability to effectively and efficiently handle confidential executive and company matters with the utmost discretion are required.
The ideal candidate will possess strong administrative, technical, and organizational skills while exercising sound judgment in a variety of situations. This position is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to join a full-service firm and who is also looking to blossom in their career as we are expanding to meet our client’s needs. The incumbent will have the opportunity to assist in managing both internal, external, and client relationships for the practice.
- Serve as a gatekeeper and communicate regularly with clients and other external parties over the phone, in-person, and through correspondence.
- Enthusiastically greet all contacts: vendors and personnel consistently, offering a warm, smiling, and hospitable demeanor that is also in a manner that is also positive authentic, friendly, and helpful.
- Manage each practice member’s calendar by scheduling meetings and conference rooms, book appointments, manage to-do’s, and maintaining frequent changing schedules.
- Create Engagement and Retainer Letters
- Open and manage new client matters accurately and efficiently.
- Prepare and ensure the availability of necessary agendas, presentations, closing binders for corporate transactional matters, and meeting notes.
- Use word processing and our document management software (Microsoft Office 2010, including Word Excel, PowerPoint Outlook, Worlddocs, Redlining, Compare, Adobe, etc.) to draft, transcribe prepare, proofread and revise, format and finalize a wide variety of documents, including briefs, correspondence, memoranda, agreements and other legal materials and presentations.
- Organize travel and itineraries, including both domestic and international travel. Manage the travel process from end to end to include all ground transport and hotel bookings, meeting room requirements, and catering.
- Establish and maintain paper and electronic files in compliance with current firm policies utilizing the firm’s record’s protocol procedures and document management system.
- Perform other related duties required based upon the unique practice of the attorney, such as, but not limited to, assisting in business development initiatives and events and committee projects and responsibilities.
- Assist other secretaries whenever necessary to meet the firm and client needs.
- Build both professional, cooperative, and supportive relationships with one’s peers, superiors, and clients. Anticipates and identifies clients’/colleagues’ current and future needs.
- Process monthly bills and manage expenses routinely updating Rippe; complete and close timekeeping where appropriate and prompt attorneys where necessary.
- Work with Accounting in all aspects of the billing cycle including but not limited to, the review of client billing for accuracy; edits to content/grammar; resolution of billing problems and effective changes to the process.
- Present final billing statements for each partner to review and ensure that disbursement invoices are authorized and ready to be submitted electronically and added to the file to close out the monthly client billing cycle.
- Process expense reports and credit card reconciliations promptly.
- Maintain a positive, professional, courteous, and flexible demeanor when dealing with clients and colleagues and adhering to firm policies.
- Possess expertise and advance knowledge in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, along with a strong familiarity legal terminology and documents and effective proofreading and editing skills.
- Must possess a typing speed of at least 60-65 wpm with a high rate of accuracy
- Ability to handle high-pressure situations with grace.
- Able to work as a team player for the practice area as well as have the capability to work independently and drive projects to completion.
- Possesses the ability to see the importance of every task holistically and understand how each assignment benefits the growth and success of the practice.
- Perform complex secretarial activities which may be highly confidential and sensitive and require discretion and diplomacy
- Excellent organizational, time management, attention to detail, and multi-tasking skills in a busy, deadline-driven environment.
- Have a proactive, forward-thinking, innovative, and results-oriented approach with a strong work ethic and well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Has the ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Demonstrates proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Self-motivated and driven.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3-5 years of recent experience as a legal secretary, executive secretarial, or as an administrative assistant.
- Fluency in Italian (verbally and written) is a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefit package.