Global law firm is seeking an Engineering Patent Agent for the Intellectual Property practice group working in any one of the Firm’s domestic offices (Washington DC, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston or Denver). The Patent Agent works with Patent Attorneys to secure patents by preparing, filing and prosecuting applications involving new inventions with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Evaluating the patentability of innovations and invention disclosures.
- Preparing, drafting and filing patent applications.
- Drafting responses to domestic and foreign Office Actions.
- Performing research and analysis and providing guidance on a variety of patent and Intellectual Property related issues.
- Performing prior art database searches for patentability and freedom to operate analyses.
- Preparing draft amendments to patent claims, specifications and abstracts.
- Assisting patent attorneys with the global prosecution of complex patent families.
- Experience in both writing original patent applications and prosecuting pending applications.
- A minimum of three years of extensive work experience in the electrical/mechanical/computer technologies patent prosecution field required.
- A degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science or equivalent technical experience.
- Candidates currently licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office as an agent are strongly preferred but consideration will be made to candidates with extensive experience who are planning to take the Bar.
- Familiarity with Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) practice is preferred.
- Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite and/or related software.
- Excellent academic credentials and references.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively and handle a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent organization and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while exhibiting a strong attention to detail.
Fabulous compensation and benefits!